Monday, December 19, 2011

Huston: 4 years, 4 months

Huston had his Christmas preschool performance on Friday. He was really nervous about it and didn't want to do it, but we talked and talked about it for two weeks or more. The morning of his program he woke up and said, "Today is my program. I'm going to sing." Just like that. And I let my heart hope that he would. I took this picture of him outside of school that morning.


When the kids filed onto the risers, he was looking at us nervously and chewing his shirt. But when "Feliz Navidad" started, he started strumming his pretend guitar like the rest of the kids and singing the first few words. Then he just fell apart. Crying, arm flinging, utter despair. The girl next to him may have gotten hit by one of his flailing arms. And the girl behind him noticed his breakdown and reached down to pat him reassuringly on the shoulder.


Oh well. Maybe next year.

I just have to record a few more things, before I forget them. Here's a prayer Huston said at dinner time on December 2nd:

"Thank you, God, for this day and for this food and for day and night, day and night, day and night and for Mommy and Daddy and Arden and please just bless Arden not to hit." I couldn't help but laugh a little when his prayer was over, and he explained, "I was just praying for God to take away that sin from Arden."

His favorite game to play with Daddy when he comes home from work, is "Hut," otherwise known as football. Huston says "Hut!" and Clarke tries to tackle him, while Huston tries to run past him to the hallway. Arden tries to "block" by sitting on Daddy or otherwise interfering. Mommy is not allowed in the room when this game is played. I get told, "No, Mommy! Go away! I don't want you in here!" But I don't even mind, because I love his special games with his Daddy.

I also love how he says, "releven" for "eleven" and "relarm" for "alarm." And how he says, "Warmart" and "fwavwite."

Huston loves talking about outer space, which he calls, "Out-Ar Space." One day he told me, "I'm just so glad God gave us gravity so we won't go flying into out-ar space."

He still loves the movie Up and spends most of his day flying his paper "Up" house around and reenacting scenes from the movie, or carrying around one of his two books about the movie. His sweet teacher Ms. Kate gave him an Up sticker book a few weeks ago, and he walked around with a smile on his face all day. The pictures below are from October, and we're on our fourth or fifth paper Up house now (because Huston freaks out if they get bent or wet or wrinkled - he's a bit of a perfectionist like his mother), but that's pretty much how he looks most of the day, carrying around his little paper house.




We took the kids to Austin this weekend to see some friends and to see the Christmas lights on 37th street (which were not as good as I remembered, but the kids liked them). I desperately wanted to go shopping at The Domain in the afternoon, but it quickly became apparent that was a terrible idea. It was super crowded and the kids were over tired and just weren't going to cooperate. So we took them to a park to play instead, and they had a blast. Being a parent really makes you constantly die to yourself, but it's not always easy. Even though I knew the kids needed a chance to play, I was so selfish and just kept clinging to the hope of shopping. Anyway, we were rewarded with a super fun hour of playing and I'm so glad we went to the park instead of being miserable while trying to shop.


Huston was being such a boy at the park - going down the slide head first, climbing on this difficult set of stairs and doing it over and over until he could do it by himself. It's so fun to watch him get more daring after being overly cautious and afraid for so long.

We let the kids have dinner at Chick Fil A, and Huston and Arden are always beyond adorable in the play area together. It's like that playground really bonds them together and makes them a team. Arden can't get up all the steps to the slide by herself, so Huston goes behind her, pushing her bottom up so she can make it up each step. It is SO. CUTE. I could watch it all day. This particular playground went up really high and we couldn't see the kids at the top of it. They made it all the way up, and Arden started freaking out, crying and screaming, and she wouldn't slide down the slide. I asked Huston if he could help her, and he immediately started talking in this soothing tone to her,

"It's okay baby girl. I'm right here. And I'm never going to leave you. It's okay. I'm just never going to leave you. Come on baby girl." And she slid down the slide with him. Clarke and I just sat there looking at each other while our hearts swelled with joy and pride.

I love that boy.

1 comment:

  1. Love that sweet boy too! Now, if only God would take away Arden's sin :)

    ReplyDelete