Sunday, April 15, 2012

Easter Recap

So, it's Sunday evening a week after Easter. Arden threw up twice today, completely out of nowhere. She looked a little sick in the car on the way home from church, but I had no idea she was feeling that bad. Hopefully she'll sleep it off. Since my last post, she's had a few potty relapses, including one day where she peed in her underwear twice, and then I told her she didn't get any more clean underwear and made her sit on a towel and she then peed all over me and the towel. I think that was just an exceptionally bad day, though. She also hasn't successfully pooped in the potty for more than a week, but let's not talk about that right now.

Anyway, none of that has anything to do with this Easter recap.

We had a lot of great Easter celebrations, starting with an egg hunt with our friends at a park in Arlington. I was so excited that Huston was actually very excited about hunting Easter eggs. The first year ever that he hasn't had to be cajoled and bribed into picking up the eggs. It was awesome!




Saturday we had a small family celebration at Clarke's parent's house. Truitt took some family pictures of us in the bluebonnets by their house that I can.not.wait. to get my hands on! Here's a few of the ones I took:





Huston is absolutely in love with flowers these days, and he had a blast looking at them and picking them.


Bubble fun with Grandpa on the front porch.


At lunch before the egg hunt, we saw a little bunny outside of the dining room window. Someone said, "Look, it's the Easter bunny!" and Huston seemed to really believe it. He looked out with an excited face and said, "But where are the eggs?"


During the egg hunts, Huston, ever our quirky one, kept leaving certain eggs behind - both at Mimi's house and at my parent's house on Sunday. I asked him, "Don't you want to pick up those eggs?" and he said, "No, I just don't want those - they're wet." He objected to the ones with too much dew on them. He was doing the same thing at my parent's house and when I asked him about it, he said, "I just don't like the ones with the tag on them." He meant the eggs that were connected by a hinge. Who else but Huston would find those objectionable? He would pick them up, put them back down, and call out to his cousins, "Hey, guys, here's some over here!"



Saturday afternoon following our celebration with Clarke's family, I went to my friend Ashlee's pedicure baby shower (so relaxing and fun) and then we went to the Easter service at church that evening.

Melinda has a tradition of reading the Easter story with the kids and releasing a white balloon to remind us that Jesus went up to heaven, which she had done that afternoon after hunting eggs. We had no idea if Arden was really understanding it, but in her class at church when they were telling the kids about Jesus rising from the dead, one of the teachers said, "He is risen!" and Arden told her, "At Mimi's house the balloon went up and Jesus is alive!" I thought it was so cool that she had connected those things on her own.

Sunday morning Huston was exhausted and sleeping late, but it was approaching 8 and Arden wanted breakfast. I wanted to make resurrection rolls with the kids, but didn't want to start without Huston, so I thought I would go ahead and wake him up. That was a terrible idea. I ended up making the rolls and telling the story of Jesus' resurrection to Arden while Huston threw himself on the floor whining and crying and refusing to participate.

I'm still glad we did them, though. It was so fun to cut the resurrection rolls, or "tombs," open and say "Jesus is alive!" I think we'll keep that tradition going.

After breakfast the kids played with their bubble guns from their baskets and Clarke built Huston his Lego "Halo" set that the Easter bunny brought. Yes, Halo is a continued obsession with Huston and the "Easter bunny" (Clarke - NOT me) likes to feed that obsession.


I made the kids take this picture before we went to my parents' house, and they actually were really good sports about it.

The Easter bunny had to hide the eggs inside my parents' house because of all the rain we got on Easter, but Huston got a real kick out of that and thought it was hilarious. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of great picks of them hunting eggs, because those kids ran fast! Huston and Arden had a great time playing with their cousins and did not want to leave when it was time to go home.

Huston told us in the car, "I wish we just lived at Grandma's house. I wish we bought that house when I was in Mommy's tummy." We asked why, and he seemed to think that Grandma's house automatically came with all the fun toys and his awesome cousins, and if we lived there instead of our house, it would be fun, fun, fun all the time.


Whew! That's our Easter in a nutshell. Hope you all had a great one, too!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun Easter weekend! I love Melinda's tradition of releasing the white balloon and that Arden connected the two :) We had a great time with you guys at our own little hunt - we're so blessed to have you guys in our lives! And I love the last picture of you and Clarke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every picture is great. I especially love the one of all the friends, kids and adults. Wait, a minute, I also like the ones with the bluebonnets, oh, what the heck...I love them all. Plus I love your great descriptions of life with the wonderful Rogers. :)

    ReplyDelete